Catfishing

I'm new to the site but not the lifestyle. Has people notice a problem: so-called "catfishing" - where someone pretends to be someone else by setting up a fake online profile.
They are perceptually misleading In the realm of deceptive half-truths, camouflage by 'hiding' some of the truths about what they are looking for.

I'm new to the site but not the lifestyle. Has people notice a problem: so-called "catfishing" - where someone pretends to be someone else by setting up a fake online profile.
They are perceptually misleading In the realm of deceptive half-truths, camouflage by 'hiding' some of the truths about what they are looking for.

There are a number of threads devoted to that problem on here.

There are a number of threads devoted to that problem on here.

Catfishing, huh? Now, I didn't realize there was actual name for fake profiles ... I kinda like the useage of that ... "catfishing". I thought catfishing was where someone is trying to scam you for money through e-mails & phone calls. That happening here?
Oh, to answer your question ... nawwwwwwwwwwwwww, members and profiles are screened at the door ... :bounce: ....... NOT!

Catfishing, huh? Now, I didn't realize there was actual name for fake profiles ... I kinda like the useage of that ... "catfishing". I thought catfishing was where someone is trying to scam you for money through e-mails & phone calls. That happening here?

That's "phishing" which is just like fishing only different. I would guess in the cyber world "catfishing" should probably be spelled "catphishing";)

Catfishing is a new term for me as well, but the con game sounds all too familiar. Sometimes fakers at online meeting sites pretend to be someone they are not. They claim to be a person with more money, power, stability etc than they actually have. For example, the scammer pretends to be a model or a successful investor. This makes them seem more desirable to the people onsite whom they target.

The scammers start relationships with their targets, gain the victims' trust, then start having "problems" in order to bilk money out of their targets. Unexpected medical bills, foreclosures, financial "problems" of every description. Any con artist gains the mark's trust in order to rip them off. This online scam is just another method to accomplish their goals. The technology enables them to cast a wider net, and target more marks, than their older scams ever did.

I don't trust anyone I just met, I don't care who they are. They earn my trust over time, and vice versa. If a situation sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

There are plenty of articles about this catfishing scam on the net. Here is one of them.

Catfishing is a new term for me as well, but the con game sounds all too familiar. Sometimes fakers at online meeting sites pretend to be someone they are not. They claim to be a person with more money, power, stability etc than they actually have. For example, the scammer pretends to be a model or a successful investor. This makes them seem more desirable to the people onsite whom they target.

The scammers start relationships with their targets, gain the victims' trust, then start having "problems" in order to bilk money out of their targets. Unexpected medical bills, foreclosures, financial "problems" of every description. Any con artist gains the mark's trust in order to rip them off. This online scam is just another method to accomplish their goals. The technology enables them to cast a wider net, and target more marks, than their older scams ever did.

I don't trust anyone I just met, I don't care who they are. They earn my trust over time, and vice versa. If a situation sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

There are plenty of articles about this catfishing scam on the net. Here is one of them.
You bring up a very important point. Trust must be earned

Back